In a world of increasing demand for water and energy, climate change and uncertainty, dams are integral to our water future.
It improves water security. It helps us to control floods. It allows us to deliver water to the communities, industries and farms that depend on a stable supply of water to subsist.
In short, dams are key to ensuring water and food security so that our people and our economy can thrive. Although often taken for granted, dams have a major impact of society.
At Zutari, we have over 88 years’ experience in the entire life cycle of dams and hydropower schemes. Our hands-on and pragmatic approach has resulted in Zutari being a leader in this field. Our understanding of the complex, often emotive issues involved in this field, have seen us co-creating the best solutions for our clients for almost a century.
Our capability includes multi-disciplinary fields such as planning, engineering, environmental, social, legal, political, operational, dam management and safety
Our familiarity with projects across the Africa continent and our footprint locally allow our experts to apply the right solutions for the right environments. Linked with our strong, internationally recognised, technical expertise, few others can match this capability.
Our experts are recognised by key global institutions such as the International Commission on Large Dams International Hydropower Association, where we remain actively involved and regularly contribute to best practise. They frequently contribute to academic, research and development institutions to expand learning.
Zutari remains at the forefront of innovation and stay well-informed of the latest technologies – ensuring that our engineered impact considers both appropriate and optimal solutions.
We also provide broad tailings management services from project inception and planning through to operational management, from the plant to the repository. This includes tailings processing optimisation, slurry conveyance systems, repository design and construction, auditing, safety and operations management and closure.
Our specialties include:
- Integrated water resource management, feasibility studies, and planning;
- Climate change resilience, adaptation and mitigation;
- Comprehensive geotechnical and ground engineering;
- Design of new, rehabilitation, raising and decommission of existing, for all types of dams.
This includes embankment, concrete (arch and gravity), roller compacted concrete, rubble masonry and composite dams);
- Design and hydraulic modelling, including CFD and physical modelling, of spillways, outlet works, channels, flood protection;
- Hydropower schemes, including new, run of river, storage and pumped storage schemes as well as refurbishments and retrofitting;
- Lined dams for raw and contaminated/polluted water storage facilities;
- Tailings storage facilities